Monday, January 21, 2013

a moment of elation...



For most of the day, I was thinking of the Federer match, the one that he was going to play against Raonic today evening. I was reading up the Australian Open reports, the previews and watching some videos, and what not.

Meanwhile, I had opened and kept another browser window, with the C.A results website. Kunju had written her CA exams, and was expecting her results today. She said the exams were really tough, and had started studying for writing it again in May. None of us had any hope, as she was pretty sure that she would not clear it this time.

To be frank, I have to admit that I was thinking more about the Federer match rather than her results, may be because we all were pretty sure about her not clearing the exams, or may be because the result declaration was 3 hours away. And, then, I got a call from amma, before she said anything, from her voice itself, I was sure that Kunju had cleared atleast one of her group. “aval pass aayachu” was what amma told, and there I sat numb, I could not say or feel anything. I wanted to get up, and tell Kirti, but I was unable to.

I refreshed my browser, but I could not see the result as it needed a pin number in addition to the roll number. I did not even say I am going to cut the call to amma, I instantly cut, and called Kunju, but her phone was unavailable. Meanwhile, I got up and told Kirti that Kunju cleared her exams. She also came to my seat, and we tried calling Kunju again, and finally after a few rounds, the call got connected. And then, it was one of her colleague who attended the call, telling she is talking with her boss. When I was about to cut the call, she came and I talked to her, and without congratulating, I asked the pin number. I wanted to confirm the result first.

She told the pin number, and I was able to look at the result. Yes, she had passed, cleared both the groups, and from now on, she is a C.A. I wanted to believe it, but I was unable to. It was so big an achievement. I knew many who had to wait years to complete the degree, and here, Kunju had done it, within an year. I congratulated her, Kirti also did, and we called amma and talked a bit. I needed time to believe it, to enjoy it, to take it in completely, to make sure that I was not in a dream chasing a wild goose.

And yes, I am happy, after a very very long time, I was joyful. I was just a bit sad that I could not share the moment together with my family. Just a bit sad that I was not there with them when the results were out. But, I guess that comes as a part of the package called life. Just moments earlier, I was wondering about the number of sets in the Federer match, when now, all of it seemed immaterial. Her efforts paid off, and I have to congratulate her for standing tall despite all her shortcomings and the obstacles she faced in this tough journey. And yet again, she has made me a proud brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment