Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The “Bal” legacy



I could understand the millions who participated in the funeral procession of Mother Teresa, E K Nayanar, or even Princess Diana.  But, when I saw that almost the same number attending the funeral procession of the “Marathi hero” Bal Thackeray (BT), I was a bit surprised. Not that, it was least expected, but somehow I could not understand that millions could agree with him on his “Maharashtra for Marathi” or “India for Hindu” slogans. That is when I decided to spend a few minutes to analyze what exactly he has accomplished.

When I was a kid, every morning I take the newspaper and quickly glance through the main page before turning over to the sports page, to see if there are any bendhs, so that I could sit at home. I am sure BT would really have been a source of relief and happiness for many kids like me, and I could understand how small kids would develop an instant liking for him.  Not only kids, even teenagers would have loved BT. He was the guy who stood up for them during Valentine’s Day. I know a lot like me, who find it so hard to have a girlfriend. We used to be very depressed when lovers go to parks, exchange roses or kisses, and not to mention, Valentine’s Day was our doomsday. The way he stood up for us, and harassed and drove off the lovers is admirable!

When we grow up, and as adults, we worship “heroes”, people who believe in what they say, and who walk the talk. BT was a true hero for them as well. He stood up for what he said, fought for what he said and was ready to kill for what he believed in. It actually does not matter that, he stood for divisive politics or rather communal politics, and that he instilled hatred for Muslims/South Indians/North Indians in the mind of ordinary Marathis. Just that, he was a hero and a non-hypocrite, that is all that matters!

Again, he was an indirect inspiration to many. There was a time in Bollywood, when it was a pain in the ass to watch Hindi films. RGV along with Amitabhji (both vocal supporters of BT), came up with Sarkar, a movie applauding parallel government. Indeed, it was a big relief, compared to the usual dull Bollywood crap. Even during his death, he would not forget the ordinary people. There were a number of shopkeepers, officers, businessmen who badly wanted to see the India-England match. All the shops were shut down, offices closed and they were happily home. He even helped a lady and her friend to visit the prison premises and verify if “all is well”.

On a serious note, I cannot help but feel surprised when people try to support Bal Thackeray. The claims of him helping the development of mills, various roadways in Maharashtra (not to forget Mr.Gadkari was in charge of PWD then), and preventing Mumbai from being swallowed by the underworld, might all be true. Probably I am too short sighted, for I cannot see a person as two, separating his positive side from his negative. I cannot just comprehend with the fact that in spite of his hatred articles, comments, communal attitude, there are “neutral and non-communal” people who actually liked him. Not to mention, the Mumbai riots, and the communists he had massacred!

P.S: Some points mentioned here are inspired from topics in Quora, and are not entirely mine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment